Surrounded By Reality

Madison, WI has been described as "43 square miles of land surrounded by reality". Actually, I think it's 77...... Being a Madison native I liked this title. Agree or disagree, the important thing is to get involved and learn what's going on and how it affects you..

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Shaken Not Stirred- Martinis & Wisconsin Vodka

On a lighter note....

OK, now to the important stuff- MARTINI'S!

Here's a couple places in Madison, WI that I like for martinis ( though they don't have most of my favorite vodka's..actually none...)

Blue Velvet Lounge (metro look, great bartenders)
http://www.thebluevelvetlounge.com/bluevelvet.html

The Ivory Room (dark piano bar-live lounge music)
http://www.ivoryroompianobar.com/

The Brink Lounge (nice atmosphere-really poor service-credit given for introducing me to Hendrick's Gin... also live bands)
http://www.thebrinklounge.com/

I'd give the Blue Velvet the nod over the other two places. The martini's are larger and I belive their Happy Hour (1/2 price) runs till 7 PM.

Wisconsin made Vodka reviews (I think I've had all the Wisconsin made ones now)
Yahara Bay- very smooth but has a noticeable apple flavor- not my cup of tea for a traditional martini- sweet
Rehorst- noticeable burn I didn't like it (Sorry- won't buy this one again)
45th Parallel- very clean, smooth taste- liked this a lot....
Death's Door- very clean, smooth taste- liked this a lot....

Effen is still my favorite, "glacial " is the best way to describe it...extremely smooth, very subtle taste. Reyka is very good too & a lot cheaper- almost as "glacial" as Effen.. Grey Goose is really very good but I'm still boycotting French products.....

Be careful of designer vodkas made in Princeton, MN- I believe it's a contract distillery owned by one of the big guys. I don't know if it's just a marketing ploy or if it's small guys taking their own recipe's in- I'd love feedback on that from anyone who knows...

Favorite gins are Hendrick's- "Industrial"
Bombay Sapphire- "Herbal"

Half & Half mixes of these are very good too!

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Ah yes, the Blue Velvet Lounge... Greg, I remember the time, summer before last, when you and Lorene and I hit that place... drinking martinis as we tried to figure out who it was that had starred as Paladin on Have Gun Will Travel... then when you remembered it was Richard Boone, the waiter verified it for us by googling for the answer on his iPhone!

In fact I blogged about that whole evening on my old blog.

By the way, I believe mine is the first comment here at your new blog? Welcome to the blogosphere!

4:27 PM  
Blogger madcitygork said...

Paul-right you are-Thanks!
GW

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home